This easy and healthy Sausage, Kale and Butternut Squash Soup with chickpeas is a quick and cozy meal for cool fall nights. (gluten-free, dairy-free)
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 lb lean sausage of choice, casing removed (if there is one)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups cooked white beans or chickpeas
- 1 bunch kale, chopped
- 3 cups broth, beef or vegetable
- 1 cup water
- 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves, or 1 tsp dried
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat, brown sausage. Drain and set aside.
- In same pot, without wiping out, add celery, onion, garlic, and squash. Cook until fragrant and semi-soft.
- Add broth, water, thyme, and pepper. Let simmer until squash is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
- Add beans or chickpeas and kale, and let simmer until beans are warmed through and kale is wilted, about 5-10 more minutes.
- Serve hot. Leftover re-heat well.